RSS

Broken!

28 Apr

Maybe you know this, maybe you don’t…..but I’m going to share it with you anyways. Missionaries are flat out awesome! Period!

But that’s not really what I want to talk about. Even though it is true, missionaries are pretty rad. Really they are. This is not what I plan on writing about.

Have you ever felt like nothing in your life ever goes right? Have you ever felt like crying under the pressures and stress of life? Have you ever felt like you were on the verge of an emotional breakdown? If so, I can recommend a good psycho therapist. Just kidding. This is something missionaries deal with on a regular basis.

So this past year I have faced the “Entropy Monster.” He is the mean 2nd law of thermodynamics that say’s all things are in a constant state of breaking down, decaying, falling apart. It is the law that keeps mechanics, doctors, and insurance agents in business. It is the law that almost caused me to curse at my once again broken car.

I know what your thinking…”Poor Timmy!  Is life giving you a beat down? Get over it.” But just wait, hear me out before you start getting all prematurely critical of my situation.

So when I arrived in Honduras I bought this car. It seemed like a good car when I bought it. I even had a mechanic look at it before I bought it. $3500 dollars later in mechanic bills I want to destroy it with a sledge hammer. It’s just always broken. But that’s not the only thing. My computer that I brought from the states decided to implode our first year into our missions adventure. Then to make things worse, our kids decided to help out Mr. Entropy by stabbing our couch full of holes with a pencil (Gideon). My coffee pot zapped Jennie the other day because the wire melted through the jacked cord so when she tried to plug it in she was touching bare copper…ouch! Sorry sweetie pie. Our fridge needs to be defrosted with a hair dryer every three days and our washer pump went bad. Our printer also broke, my socks have holes and I had to fight a forest fire in the middle of the night moving towards our new cabin.

Yeah, that’s right…life’s been hard. Not only is our stuff broken, our language is broken. Just when you feel like your getting somewhere you get whistled at by the store clerk for asking him for a fine (pe_is) for our kids hair, because they have lice. Sorry Jennie…that must have been embarrassing.

I will continue to whine. This country is also broken. Why in the world do people keep lighting fires in the midst of dry season. The country smells and looks like a gigantic campfire. Maybe this is why they build with brick….stop lighting fires! And stop giving us nasty staph infections….We don’t like them….they hurt!

Nuclear+Bomb+Missile+Mushroom+Cloud

Our power situation makes CL&P or any other American power company look like Mob Bosses. Why in the world does our power go out like every week? It’s probably because a telephone pole caught on fire from all of their burning. Stop lighting fires! OK, I feel better now.

Believe me, I could go on. But I write this to say, “But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body.” 2 Cor. 4:7-11

Life has been difficult, It’s been hard. Yes, missionaries are still awesome, but we envy your prayers. So if you could please send up some awesome prayers for your awesome missionaries we would really appreciate it.

God is working. Pray that we can do the part he wants us to do.

We love you all!

6 Comments

Posted by on April 28, 2014 in In Field

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 responses to “Broken!

1. Mom

April 28, 2014 at 7:07 pm

My heart breaks knowing that you are at the edge of breaking, but God is good and He has to bend us before we re willing to be pliable for Him? How much can one person take? Again God tells us He will always be with us and that He won’t forsake us but He also says He will give us the strength that we need as we surrender over all to Him, how do you know, when is enough, enough ? I can only continue to pray for you all and encourage you to stay focused on Him and He will direct your path! We love you and miss you all dearly and can’t wait for you to be home with us all again! Let us know what we can do? We are here for you!

2. Dad

April 28, 2014 at 7:41 pm

14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
    20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
    (Eph 3:14–21).

3. Shawn Hardegen

April 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I’m encouraged by your steadfast faith in the midst of trial, and will be praying for all these issues.
    Its the real deal your in, and your dependence on the Lord will only grow as He delivers you from anything that would come against His work. Thank-you for your obedience and for truly carrying the cross of Christ., His grace is sufficient.

4. Bruce Kinzer

April 28, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Sure does sound familiar! Sorry for your stress. All I can say is take a day off ….. Step one, marvel about gods love…. Step two…. Love on your family….. Step three…..repeat. Know that over time things fall into perspective. And never forget…. God is good all the time…. All the time god is good!
    Love you guys and looking forward to seems you.

5. Christine Bates Slover

April 29, 2014 at 7:43 am

If you continue in 2 Cor at v 17 you will find the mantra I memorized and wrote out on a chalkboard in my kitchen so I can remind myself: “Our light and momentary troubles are preparing for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” I don’t write this to make light of all you are dealing with, or just to be a scripture quoter and say “yeah, don’t worry, move on, get over it” because these things weigh us down and can get discouraging. That Paul considered our troubles “light and momentary” is even more disturbing, LOL. But we believe God’s Word is true. So carry on. We love you here in the states and are traveling alongside of you in these troubles, spiritually – so take heart in that all of us are working towards that final goal, the prize. Missionaries ARE awesome, by the way – and you guys ARE missionaries. Hang in.

6. A Heart for Honduras

April 29, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for all of your encouraging words…We’ll survive!….God Willing!