RSS

Your not in Kansas any more Dorthy!

31 Dec
Your not In Kansas anymore!

Your not In Kansas anymore!

So it has been about 3 months since we moved our family from Connecticut to Honduras. It has been an adjustment. It has its difficulties. It has its struggles. But, the last few weeks I would wake up in the morning feeling pretty good…Thinking to myself, “You got this Tim….this third world, new culture thing isn’t so tough…you got this!”

Then something Honduran happens and I am smacked in the face with the reality that Dorthy (me) is not in Kansas (Connecticut) anymore. And my ‘piece of cake’ mentality gets tossed out the window. But who likes cake anyway? I would much rather have a nice piece of fresh warm apple pie. Hint, hint Jennie!

Yeah, things are more difficult down here…but before you start feeling too sad for us, I want to tell you something…I feel Honored to serve Jesus in Honduras. He is so worth it! I love serving the Lord! I love It! No doubt, it’s hard, but so worth it.

In the last month I got to experience some very new things. A Honduran Christmas, a wedding, a wake, The DMV, orphanages, etc. It has been eye opening to say the least.

One of the more memorable events was the wake. Tate & I sat in the living room of the family who just lost a loved one to a bullet. The brother of the deceased laying on a bed in the other room with a patch on his face and arm from bullets that just missed him. The sad faces of adults mixed with the innocence of cute Honduran kids. There was no hiding it from them. Little ones roamed in and out of the room where a person lost to horrific circumstances laid lifeless in a ruff coffin.

As I sat there taking it all in, a little cute face with little round cheeks reached out her hand. In it were dried banana chips. She wanted to share some with me. As I stared down at this little precious person, I thought of my own kids. I thought how they would have never been exposed to such awfulness at such a young age back in the States. And then it hit me…Your not in Kansas anymore.

As I grabbed the banana chips from her little hand, the corner of her lips curled up in great satisfaction. After all, she had just shared her snack with a big bald white guy with a beard. Who else would be so kind to such a strange looking creature. (Yes, it’s true…I don’t look like the typical Honduran)

Oh the experiences! Oh the satisfaction of being a light for Jesus in this place. Yes it has it’s difficulties, But It’s been worth it.

I would love to continue to share about our trips to the orphanages and many other adventures, maybe next time.

Thanks for all your prayers and support. It really does matter!

P.S. Yes, The DMV down here is just as bad.

5 Comments

Posted by on December 31, 2012 in In Field

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 responses to “Your not in Kansas any more Dorthy!

1. Julia

January 1, 2013 at 9:49 am

Proud of you guys! Serving The Lord is the best place to be. Can’t wait to experience your world. Happy 2013

2. Jen Polanco

January 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!

We are due to have a skype check in since you have been in Honduras for awhile. I would love to take some time “face to face” to process how things are, your adjustment, culture shock, team stuff, etc. Please let me know your availability in the next few weeks, the time difference and your skype name and we will get something on the calendar.

Blessings! Looking forward to chatting!

Jen Polanco Member Care Coordinator IT USA

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM, AHeart4Honduras wrote:

> ** > A Heart for Honduras posted: ” Your not In Kansas anymore! So > it has been about 3 months since we moved our family from Connecticut to > Honduras. It has been an adjustment. It has its difficulties. It has its > str”

• A Heart for Honduras

January 7, 2013 at 7:34 pm

That would be great, But our internet can’t handle skype. Will have to do a phone call or something.

3. Tara Murphy

January 3, 2013 at 8:32 am

Hello Jen, Tim & Kids: Wishing you a Happy New Year filled with many blessings! Stay strong, even when you feel “are we making a difference”, or you’re feeling down, just remember you are making a difference and you’re planting seeds every step of the way – even when you don’t know it.

I guess if it was easy to live in Honduras, we would all live there šŸ™‚ Keep looking up and moving forward and you will always find those little precious smiles and moments like with the little girl sharing her banana chips, those moments & gifts will help to get you through.

Much love to you all – Tara Murphy

4. Todd

January 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for stepping out in faith. Thinking and praying for you guys.