RSS

Rocky 1

29 Nov

Have you ever seen the first Rocky movie? You know, the one with Sylvester Stallone. I loved the Rocky movies as a kid, but out of all the movies, I disliked the first one the most. I just couldn’t understand why Rocky lost.

Remember that final fight in the first movie when Rocky gets his butt kicked by Apollo Creed? I can remember it vividly. Rocky comes charging in at Apollo with his gloves by his waist and Creed uses his face as a punching bag. Rocky would fall down…then he was back up again, but only for the purpose of getting his face punched in again by Apollo. I would sit there in my seat screaming internally at Rocky to lift his gloves and protect his face.

I mean come on folks! I was like 7 and I knew good boxing technique was to keep your gloves up. “Lift your gloves Rocky! Dunk! Dunk!”  For some reason Rocky didn’t hear my internal screams directed at the television. Instead he continued to walk into Creeds fists. By the end of the fight his faced looked worse than a Pinata at a Honduran kids birthday fiesta.

So why the story about Rocky? Well, to be honest, Rocky’s beat down in movie 1 is kind of what our last month has felt like. Our Honeymoon is over and the battle has begun. The language, homesickness, culture & spiritual warfare have felt like “left jabs” to the soul. I have found myself knocked down and staring at the mat on more than one occasion. It’s not fun…not fun at all!

As a little kid I didn’t understand why Rocky was so great. After all, he was always getting his face punched in, he was always getting clocked with left jabs, (He really did have poor boxing technique) he was always getting knocked down.

But it wasn’t the getting knocked down that made Rocky great…it was the fact that he always got back up. He always returned to his feet. And no matter how bad his eyes swelled up and wobbly his legs were, he always managed to walk back into Apollo creeds fists for another round of beatings.

I want to be that type of man…I want to continue to lift my bloody face off the mat and say lets go one more round.

Proverbs say’s, “When a righteous man falls down he gets back up again.

So “Cut my eye, Mick!” I’m going in for another round.

19 Comments

Posted by on November 29, 2012 in In Field

Tags: , , , , , , ,

19 responses to “Rocky 1

1. michaelfosterblog

November 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Know the feeling of the honeymoon ending all too well brother. Praying for you guys! Stand firm and be strong!

2. Julia

November 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

WE are here for you guys! Praying……in some ways it’s so hard watching you “in the ring” but we are cheering loudly, like the crowd in ROCKY! My friend shared this verse yesterday, as the most encouraging verse for him in ministry. 2 Corinthians 9:8

8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Totally thought of you guys! Love ya!

• Robert Delamatta

November 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm

We at prayer meeting lift you all every Thursday as a group. Keep up the good fight. The Lord will get you through. I Cor. 15:58 was one of the verses that the Lord gave to us as we ministered in France. A good reminder in rough times. “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain”. We love you and we are fighting with you. Hang in there.
      LOve,

Bob & Mary Delamatta

3. Jack and Pam Kerouack

November 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm

When things get you down just remember all the miracles Jesus showed and still so many doubted him and betrayed him. Still he went to the cross stretched his arms out and showed how much he loved us….your teaching people he is our savior and you are such a blessing. Praying for you! Pam & Jack Kerouack

4. Mom

November 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm

How courageous to hear your battle wounds and yet you live to fight another day, as we all do when going up against the evil one. He will never be content until he breaks you as us all but with each breath I pray God holds you all in His safety net, His guidance, His power and restores your souls each and every day! Miss you all and think of you often, “finally be strong in The Lord and in His mighty power.Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Ephesians 6:10&11 so much more to that verse as I know you all hold in your hearts, we are here for you always no matter what the need let us know that is how God can use us! Love you all more each day Mom

5. Ron

November 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

We love you all. We are praying for you, the family and your work. God bless.

6. Jennifer

November 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Praying for you both! Wish I could be there! Isaiah 40:28-31

7. Michelle crotts

November 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Great post…you are a good story teller! I know the battle is hard. And sometimes it’s all you can do to get up in the morning. Keep pressing on…keep going humbly before The Lord. The battle we fight is not against flesh and blood…not even against our own flesh and blood…the Enemy will turn his attacks to make you doubt who you are and who God is. Be watchful…and fight the right Enemy. The Enemy is not you. It is not your family…or your co-workers. It is not Honduras. It is not the language. Learn how to resist Him and to stand in the Truth (His Word is truth).

I love you guys and I’m praying for you.

Michelle

8. jason cournoyer

November 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm

His eye is on the sparrow ,His eye is on you,He will not give you more than you can bare Tim.Many years ago I started working for a company ,shortly there after my manager got fired for tampering with food expiration dates ,and the powers that be made me the manager, I was suddenly responsable for fresh orders, frozen orders, inventories,schedueling and on and on ,it seemed more than I could bare,I stuck it out and persavered and as the months went by it got easier and easier ,I certainly believe your the right man for the job ,you have a true heart for God ,humble, kind,patient,softspoken are a few of the qualities I’ve noticed about you,plus if God is for you who can be against you and as it says in Isaiah no weapon forged against you will prosper! Hang in their brother ,I’ll be keeping you in prayer, take care —jason

9. Dad

November 29, 2012 at 6:05 pm

If we never get knocked down we would never feel the victory of getting back up. I’m confident that as time goes on, getting up will get easier and getting kocked down will be farther and fewer in between. God’s strength is inexhaustable. “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever” Psalm 72:26. We love you and continue to support you with our prayers.

10. Tracy Medling

November 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Tim and Jennie, I am praying for you. and all the verses the others wrote will be part of the armor and the shield you can use when you feel dog-tired and battle-weary. Do not be weary in well doing, for in due time you will reap the harvest if you do not faint. God will supply your every need in Christ Jesus, He rejoices over you with singing, Greater is He Who is in you than he who is in the world. Having done all to stand, stand then with the belt of truth firmly tied around your waist…you are more than a conqueror. God commands the blessing where brothers stand together in unity. I pray for His strength to carry you beyond your wildest dreams, far above your highest expectations, to a series of victories that will awe everyone who hears of them. You are held together in Christ, by Christ, and for the good works He created for you to do before the foundation of the world. You are already champions~ God bless and keep you in the palm of His Hands!!

11. Lori Savino

November 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm

We love you and will keep praying for you. You are truly special people to sacrifice so much to spread Gods word. When the climb seems insurmountable or unbearable remember that is when God will carry you. And when you reach the other side it will mean so much more to have felt that extra love.

12. john

November 29, 2012 at 9:39 pm

You are gifted and blessed, you (your whole family) are in the ring that most of us dare not even in our wildest dreams would think we could climb into, and most of us will never. Our gift as active observers, in our personal pews, (like the seven year old) is to pray- cheer and yell encouragements-get up- didn’t you see that left jab coming-come on, come on… Christ put the mat there as a springboard, an opportunity to rise up. Use the early rounds to toughen up-prepare the spirit.
    I have only met your family twice but I have experienced your strength many times in prayer.

The old yard sale guy

13. A Heart for Honduras

November 30, 2012 at 7:59 am

Thank you for all of the encouraging words and prayer support…It is truly felt here on our end. We will continue to fight the good fight.

14. Lou Sansone

November 30, 2012 at 8:10 am

Tim and Jen.
    Admitting that you are struggling is the beginning of the process to seek HIS power and help. Obviously I have never been called to the mission field, but have been called to tackle some tough things. I have found that there is always that point when I have to cry out for help and God is faithfull and will come and lift you up. I miss you all very much and were pretty sure that you would become home sick. But this is your new home! Keep pressing forward. Work on getting one thing accomplished where you can say… “we, with God’s help did this” and know that if you were not there, it would not get done. I am sure that you are and will make an impact for Christ.

love lou

15. Ira Flannery Sr

November 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Tim, I am encourged by your words from proverbs. I do and will continue to lift you, Jeannie and your family up in prayers. The King Of Kings and Lord or Lords is the one who is not only in your corner but in you, to lift you up and stand with the full armour of God.
    Lord continue to put the hedge of protection around Tim, Jen, family, Tate, Cassie and family as they work to honor and glorify you. amen…..brother i <

16. Tresa

December 1, 2012 at 5:03 am

I am thankful for your honesty Tim! It is good to be able to pray specifically for your needs. What a blessing that we have this technology to communicate and encourage each other. I am blessed also by all the folks who chose to respond and encourage your family. We ARE all praying for you and for the people that you are going to show Jesus to! Keep getting up! God is faithful!

17. Glen Gaskell

December 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm

You can’t fail if you don’t give up! God bless you all!!

18. uncle joe

December 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm

thanks for sharing with us, it is hard for us to really understand what you guys are giving up to do God’s work down there.now i understand more well writen. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. you all are amasing and are showing many how God work thru is servants. love uncle joe